Homemade buttery biscuits and fried chicken, covered in Chicken and Waffles buffalo sauce. AMEN.
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (ice cold)
- 9 Tbsp Butter (divided)
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 boneless chicken thighs or breasts (If using breasts, make sure to split in half so it’s not too thick)
- 1-2 Cups flour (enough to coat your chicken)
- 2 Tbsp cajun seasoning, or any seasoning you'd like
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- Frying oil, we like peanut, corn or canola
- Blonde Beard’s Chicken & Waffles
- Preheat oven at 450° with rack in the middle.
- Put buttermilk in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Melt 8 Tbsp of butter.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Mix butter and buttermilk - Cold buttermilk will create small chunks of butter in mixture. This is what you want!
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Dough should be dry and pull away from the bowl. If it's not dry enough, add flour 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Move Dough to a well floured surface.
- Knead 5-6 times.
- Roll dough out to be ½" - 1” tall.
- Cut dough with 4” biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on parchment paper lined cookie sheet, at least 1” apart.
- Brush tops with remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter.
- Bake for 8-15 minutes until the tops are golden brown and crispy.
- Makes 4-5 x 4” biscuits.
- Mix seasonings with flour. We like a lot of salt and seasoning.
- Coat Chicken in flour, let rest in the refrigerator as long as possible. We usually let it rest for a few hours.
- Preheat oil in a large, deep skillet.
- Dunk floured chicken into egg, then back into more flour.
- Fry at medium high heat for 6-8 minutes per side, until crispy golden brown.
- Remove from oil, let cool on paper towels.
- Cut biscuit in half, add fried chicken to bottom half.
- Pour generous amount of Blonde Beard's Chicken & Waffles on top of chicken.
- Add toppings to chicken. We like pickles, shaved red onion and bleu cheese crumbles. Also delicious plain!